What to Do for CO Safety
What to Do in the Event of a CO Leak
If your CO alarm activates, you should always assume CO has been detected in your home. A loud alarm is a warning that unusually high and potentially lethal levels of CO are present. Never ignore this alarm as further exposure could be fatal. Immediately check residents for symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning (see product manual), and contact the proper authorities to resolve all CO problems. NEVER IGNORE ANY ALARM.
What to Do During a CO Alarm
◆ Keep calm and open the doors and windows to ventilate the property.
◆ Stop using all fuel-burning appliances and ensure, if possible, that they are turned off.
◆ Evacuate the property leaving the doors and windows open.
◆ Ring your gas or other fuel supplier on their emergency number; keep the number in a prominent place.
◆ Do not re-enter the property until the alarm has stopped. When exposed to fresh air, it can take up to 10 minutes for the sensor to clear and the alarm to stop, depending on the level of CO detected.
◆ Get medical help immediately for anyone suffering the effects of carbon monoxide poisoning (headache, nausea, drowsiness), and advise that carbon monoxide poisoning is suspected.
◆ Do not use the appliances again until they have been checked by an expert. Contact a Gas Safe-registered engineer in the case of a malfunctioned gas appliance.