Smoke and carbon monoxide sensors are valuable for every home. So, you want to know about ‘what is the best smoke and carbon monoxide detector' for your home? I will tell you about the two leading smoke and carbon dioxide detectors that are very popular in the market is Kidde and First Alert smoke detectors. First Alert has better features than the Kidde because of the alarm system with a verbal warning of the threat.
Overview of Kidde
Kidde possesses FireX branded units and it has two product lines. One is Nighthawk and the other is a Silhouette. The main characteristic of Nighthawk is that it is available in battery-operated and plug-in units. Whereas, the Silhouette comes in hardwired units, and you would enjoy using it because it has a sealed lithium battery with self-charging feature that stays through the lifetime of the alarm. Kidde provides combo units, which is a combination of carbon monoxide and smoke sensors to keep you alert. It also creates dual-sensor units that obtain ionization and photoelectric technologies.
1. Kidde Combination CO/Smoke Alarms
Smoke and carbon monoxide alarms are the must-have for your home. Moreover, these sensors will give you a signal initially when there are any fire and smoke in the home. Kidde is a trusted name around the globe, especially if you want to find the peace of your mind at home. Kidde C3010D has lithium sealed battery with 10 years of battery life warranty, in addition to a carbon monoxide alarm to detect any type of smoke and fire threat.
The carbon monoxide, alarm contains a digital display feature and utilizes electrochemical detecting technology to safeguard you and your entire family from the hazard of carbon monoxide.
2. Key Features of Kidde C3010D
- Kidde provides you a long life 10 years lithium sealed battery with a warranty for the decade. However, when the battery life ends then CO alerts you to change it as soon as possible.
- The other feature is the LED lights which notify you with a warning and status of the unit: green light for normal operations, red light for alarm, Amber light for error.
- The alarm sounds 85-decibel loud when CO suspects a danger. Due to the loud alarming sound, any person can awake from sleep to handle the threat.
- Kidde has a Peak Level Memory which shows the highest CO concentration measured since the last reset of the unit.
- You can easily check and reset CO alarm from the circuit and it permits you to instantly silent the alarm.
Overview of First Alert
First Alert possesses the BRK Branded units with a product line ONELINK. It has wireless connectivity throughout with verbal alarm units. The unit comes with a battery, plug-in, hardwired battery backups and hardwired units. The battery backups keep you updated and safe from any mishap because the battery will still function if the power goes out. The First Alert dual unit components include photoelectric and ionization detectors to detect if there is any smoke or leakage of carbon monoxide.
1. First Alert Combination CO/Smoke Alarms
The combination of smoke sensor and the CO detectors make the SC 07CN device by First Alert. This device presents you an opportunity to have the 2-in-1 benefit of both the smoke and CO detection.
2. Key Features of First Alert SC07CN Alarm
- The First Alert SC 07CN has a hardwire photoelectric and ionization smoke alarm to detect fire and carbon monoxide.
- It can detect two threats at the same time.
- First Alert's main function is that it alarms with voice and tells you the exact location where the threat begins. You can easily investigate the threat and understand the situation with the help of verbal alarm sounds.
- It has a 10 years battery life warranty, and its units can easily be installed and operated.
- The photoelectric sensor in the First Alert device warns you of burning fires at the early stage and to recognize the smoke particles generated by smoldering fires. It also makes the difference between real threats such as smoke and fume created from the cooking, showering, and other daily routine activities. It also helps in minimizing the detection of false alarm.
- The electrochemical sensor monitors the CO level that recognize the carbon monoxide leakage from multiple sources, for example, fuel-burning appliances, blocked chimneys, and generators. It can verbally communicate and alert you to analyze the problem originally.
How to Choose the Right Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Detector
Well, here are some important points to keep in mind when you go to purchase a CO detector for your home:
Sensors to monitor the surrounding conditions: In order to adjust to a change in temperature or humidity, a smoke detector must have the electro-chemical sensors. Yes, the Nighthawk technology of the Kidde’s CO alarms keeps you safe from the false alarms as it adjusts to the surrounding conditions.
Warning for alarm replacement: Well, this is an important feature of end-of-life warning as it intimates you to replace the alarm. Kidde is the only reliable manufacturer of such CO alarms which have successfully tested the feature.
Certification: Before you purchase a CO alarm, make sure that they abide by the rules of Underwriters Laboratories (UL) or Canadian Standards Association (CSA). You can trust Kidde as they meet all the requirements by the authorities.
Efficiency and Accuracy: Always look for the statement printed on the packing of CO alarm about the certification by UL or CSA.
Plug-in Battery Back-up and Replacement: Look for a battery-operated device to stay protected in cases of power outage. In addition, the plug-and-play feature increases the ease-of-use.
Digital Display of CO amount: The modern devices update and display the amount of CO in the surrounding every 15 minutes.
Peak-Level feature: Well, the highest amount of CO present in the room determines the way to control it. So, the modern devices have this feature too.
Sound Alarm: If you have a verbal warning CO detector, you are in the best place as it helps you react timely to an emergency.
SC01 2-IN-1 Smoke + CO Detector with LCD
- Real-time display of accurate CO concentration levels on the LCD.
- High-capacity lithium battery for 10 years of reliable operation.
- FIGARO® CO sensor for high sensitivity, accuracy and reliability.
- Approved by the ETL and BSI.
Installation and Maintenance
- Install a unit of CO device on every floor of your house including the bedrooms.
- Avoid installing a CO detector in the kitchen. In fact, keep it at a distance of at least 15 feet from the kitchen.
- Avoid any possible hinderance and check the detector’s functionality weekly.
- Do not forget to replace the alarm every 7 to 10 years, whatever is the time span according to the model of the CO alarm.