What Is a Motion Sensor Alarm?
Alarm systems help us safeguard our valuables. They play an important role in deterring the thieves and burglars from committing crimes. In addition, they alert the owners to take precautionary measures when a risk element causes them to send alarms. The need for smart security in the modern-day life has urged the use of cutting-edge surveillance systems. Whether we talk about residential homes or office buildings, the existence of security alarm system creates a sense of safety and peace of mind.
In a layman language, a motion sensor alarm is an electronic device that detects any object or human movement. It has an acoustic or optical motion sensor that detects unusual motion around the premises of its installation.
Why Should You Use Motion Sensor Alarms?
Obviously, its main purpose is to trigger a security alarm for building owners to tackle the detected incidences involving the unwanted visitors.
For individual home owners, the protection of home and family security is above anything. They would prefer a best alarm system that detects burglary in addition to other threats like smoke, fire, or burglary. The modern organizations make it a point to adopt full range of security solutions to identify threats and risks involved. The motion sensing alarm surely optimizes their security monitoring system. The most common sensor alarms found in the residential or commercial buildings are Passive Infrared Sensors (PIRs).
These security systems are capable of detecting radiation that naturally originates from a human body. They integrate a filter containing a receiver. The receiver’s function is to allow only infrared rays pass through it. The movement of an object within the range of PIR’s sensor causes a difference in radiation, and resultantly produces a positive charge in the receiver. The sensing unit observing an apparent change in radiation sends electronic signal to a linked computer, intimating alerts.
Best Motion Sensor Alarms in 2021
If you reach out the market, you may find a variety of high-quality best motion detector alarm systems. These detectors integrate functions that offer more or less similar security features. In this article, we have compiled a list of six best motion detectors that lay the foundation of a fool proof motion sensing alarm system.
1. SimpliSafe Motion Sensor
This small piece of motion sensor amazingly delivers security coverage from every corner. The infrared heat signature technology equipment is compatible with almost all type of residential and commercial security requirements.
The precision-engineered motion detector uniquely identifies the heat signature of visitors and people moving around. The standard sensor may give you the sensor coverage within 30 feet. However, new generation sensors are capable to cover a 40 feet area with 90 degree of field view when placed in corner. Its compact design will enable you to install it in the halfway or central room of your premises. However, you might like to take the best advantage by fixing it in the corner of the room. Its effectiveness is better when positioned above 5 feet on the wall for best security coverage.
The motion sensor has the following features -
- Wireless – this feature works well in the instance of burglary and immediately notifies the owners by sending alarms.
- 6.4 x 6.4 x 2.9 centimeters – the size of the sensor makes it ready to protect right after you take it out of the box.
- 90° field of vision – an excellent feature that brilliantly covers maximum range.
- Detects unique heat signature of people – the sensor uniquely recognizes any object by its thermal signature.
- Peel & stick installation – you can simply peel the protective film from the rear and stick the sensor at your preferred place. It will help you effectively monitor security wirelessly.
- Pet friendly – The motion sensor ignores the pets weighing below 30 pounds.
- 1 CR-2032 Lithium 3V battery (included).
- 3-5 year battery life.
- Indoor use only.
Why it stands out:
The marvelous motion sensor has already won numerous awards based on consumer reviews. It is regarded as top Do It Yourself home security pick. It is priced very reasonably that starts from $US 160 onwards depending upon users’ choice. It is highly reliable, cost-effective, and user-friendly security device.
2. X-Sense Home Security System with Motion Sensor
If you want an extremely basic yet highly effective motion sensor, then this DIY security system is the best choice. It’s usually available in two versions. For a low cost of US$130, you may get a five-piece kit. The kit comes with a hub, one of the best motion sensor, a remote-control key fob, and two window sensors. If you wish for some additional motion sensor and a couple of doors, then you have the option to go for an eight-piece kit for few more bucks around $US40.
The eight-pieces package comes with:
- 1 × Base Station.
- 2 × Motion Sensors.
- 4 × Entry Sensors.
- 1 × Remote Control.
It is perhaps the only motion sensor that works with Wi-Fi smoke detector. It magnificently keeps surveillance of your home security. The sensor fully supports Amazon Alexa and its internal back up battery is capable of running the device uninterruptedly during long power outages.
- Power source: AC and battery powered.
- Standard dimensions: 15.2 x 6.6 x 3.9 inches.
- Connectivity: Wi-Fi, Bluetooth.
- 24/7 security monitoring – The home security kit easily detects motion and alerts against any insurgency in the first place.
- An extensive communication range - The latest Spread Spectrum technology empowers the device to cover 1.25-mile communication range between the base station and other devices.
- Compatible with Alexa - You can arm or disarm your system by speaking to Alexa and customize the device as per your needs.
- Backup battery - The base station integrates a 1800-mAh backup battery to support 12 hours of power supply during a power outage.
- App control – you can monitor and control your home security with the Android and iOS supported X-Sense Home Security app and a remote control.
- Instant notifications – the device provides real-time notifications of what’s going on around your premises.
- Easy installation – As everything you need is provided in the box, with no need of hardwiring.
Why it stands out:
Featuring a 110° detection angle with a maximum of 39 feet (12 m) detection range, X-Sense Home Security System detects movement in a desired area and instantly alerts the owners of any interferences. The users can adjust the sensor sensitivity to avoid unwanted alarms. Without hard wiring, the device can easily fit and enhances security system with latest Spread Spectrum connectivity technology. It is ideally suitable for homes with basements, sheds, porch/patio areas, free-standing garages, and outbuildings on any property.
3. Ring Floodlight (Battery-Powered)
This motion alarm sensor comes with advanced Passive Infrared Sensors. The sensors manage the light and motion sensors contained in the camera. When it’s complete dark, the lights on the Ring Floodlight sensor turn on. The device lets the users to adjust the motion sensitivity by selecting light settings in the Ring app to trigger the lights.
The passive infrared heat detection operates the floodlight on the motion sensor at a radius of 270 degrees. The device effectively protects large outdoor areas like backyard in the house or driveway with motion activated LED lights. The users can have an added advantage of capturing 1080p HD video.
- Complete control from the Ring App – the app lets the users see their premises from anywhere and detect unwanted motions.
- Live view – The magnificent app of the motion sensor lets the users keep a check on their property from anywhere and obtain a real-time audio and video through Live view button.
- Real-time notifications – The motion sensor camera offers real-time notifications when anything occurs at the premises.
- Connected devices – The users can make use of the Ring app to manage everything from a single dashboard.
- Works with Ring security Cameras – The users can connect eh device with a variety of compatible devices to turn the home into safety heaven.
Why it stands out:
The amazing device is all times weather resistant and a smart way to get home security. Its customizable settings let the users adjust the brightness and motion sensitivity. The motion-activated notifications are an added advantage in this type of motion sensor. The battery- powered Ring smart lights secure your driveway, walkaway, or backyards instantly.
4. Wyze Cam V2 with Wyze Sense Starter K
It is one of the best wireless motion sensing alarm systems for home security. Like other motion sensors, the Wyze Sense detects the motion of people and pets and notifies the owners.
- Usage: indoor.
- Connectivity: Wi-Fi.
- Suitable room type: Garage.
- Monitoring type: Wall mount.
- Operating systems: supports iOS 9 and Android 5 or above.
- Upload speed: 1.5 Mbps for HD and 1.0 Mbps for SD.
Why it stands out:
The best part of this device is that it notifies the users immediately anytime when it detects something left open or closed. With a 12-month warranty and video recording feature, this motion sensor is certainly not a bad choice at an extremely affordable cost.
5. ADT Motion Sensor
This motion sensor sound alarm device sends a signal to the security system. Even upon tripping, it sends an alert to the owner and the monitoring center.
The device works in two ways:
- Active motion — it uses sound waves and its application suits to automatic doors, such as garage door.
- Passive motion — it detects emitted infrared energy or heat through passive infrared feature.
- Wider area of coverage - Covers an extensive area of your home with just one motion sensor.
- Pet friendly – The users can customize the motion detector sensitivity level according to the size of your pets.
- Custom alerts – When the motion sensor detects motion, it triggers alerts and video clips automatically.
Why it stands out:
ADT outstandingly performs 24/7 monitoring and offers home security with motion sensor cameras activated by motion and the users can customize them to recognize everyday movement patterns. The device effectively eliminates occurrences of false alarms and continues to keep the property safe from any burglary or insurgency.
6. LITOM Motion Sensor Light
These smart motion sensor lights are perfect home alarm motion sensor for indoor and outdoor security. Installing such motion sensors in the dark places of your house will be a great privilege in terms of improved security. It is the most budget-saving and easy installation solution that deters burglary and any harmful incidence.
The LITOM sensor light harvests solar energy and stores it in a battery for later use at night. On detecting any motion, the sensor light lights up for 20 seconds.
- 30 days money back guarantee.
- 24 months warranty extension.
Why it stands out:
The great benefit of the LITOM is that it combines two of the most efficient and green technologies: LED and solar. It is the best choice to install when there is complete dark. It triggers on to provide high-brightness light when the sensor detects movement. In its presence, thieves don’t dare to route into the house because the moment he slips in the sensor area, the LED solar motion sensor light will trigger on instantly and make the thief’s life a hell.
Types of Motion Sensor Alarms
There are two categories of motion sensors; active motion sensors and passive motion sensors. Active sensors integrate a receiver and a transmitter. An active wireless motion sensing alarm sends ultrasonic sound waves. When a moving object disrupt those waves, they bounce back to the originating point after reflecting off the moving objects.
Resultantly, the sensor performs its function by triggering the security alarm. Contrary to the active sensor, a passive motion sensor works without a transmitter. It does not work upon measuring a persistent reflection from an object. Its design detects a motion that develops due to apparent increase of radiation in its surroundings.
The main areas of installation of such devices are living rooms, garages, corridors, and places like stores and warehouses. In addition, any other space that requires immediate security measures needs such alarms.
Active motion sensors have further categories. They are:
- Microwave sensors.
- Ultrasonic motion sensors.
- Vibration motion sensors.
- Reflective motion sensors.
How to Choose the Best Motion Sensor Alarm?
Always remember that motion detected alarm will become the back bone of your residential or commercial property. Therefore, before opting to choose among a number of cutting-edge security alarms available in the market, make a rational decision.
So, depending upon your lifestyle or work requirement, certain features of these sensors will hold much influence on your decision making.
If you don’t want drilling and wiring throughout your premises to install sensor alarms, you might want to install wireless motion sensors. They will communicate with the main security system through wireless and it is easy to install and operate them.
Sensors with Video Capability
Keep in mind that motion sensors are not just security instruments, they have other multiple uses. You might want to record occurrence of incidents or movements of intruders inside your premises. You need motion sensors with video capability that will help you later retrieving the footage in case of some crime scene.
Pet Immune Motion Sensors
People who love having pets at homes might like the idea of installation of pet immune motion sensor alarms. These security systems have calibrations to ignore the movement of some light-weight animals. They won’t set off alarms in case those pets are moving around in their surveillance areas.
Sensors with Contact Sensitive Features
There are some motion alarms that are contact sensitive. For example, if someone tries to enter your premises through window, the contact motion sensors will notify the owner. They will trigger an alarm with the help of their contact motion sensors.
How to Install Motion Sensor Alarms?
As wireless motion sensors are becoming standard alarm systems, it becomes very easy to install them. All you have to know is how to use a screwdriver. Remember! Correct installation always tends to delivery maximum security coverage inside the building or any premises.
Usually, the sensing units come with user manuals, so it is easy to install them by following simple guidelines. Unboxing the motion sensor tells us what are the accessories that accompany the sensing unit.
Selection of Installation Point
Installation at the opposite points of main entrance.
This will help to detect the unwanted visitors instantly. This is applicable to all the rooms, stores, and halls, etc.
Selection of Mounting Areas
It is often advisable to mount the motion detectors high on walls for extensive security coverage and identification of smoke or fire, etc.
Corner Are the Feasible Installation Points
With the help of screw drivers, it is very easy to install the motion sensors that have angled edges with screw holes. They take lesser time in installation and fit comfortably inside the corners with screw drivers.
1. Are motion sensors worth it?
Yes. We are vulnerable when we don’t have an effective security system. They become a solid choice for indoor use. The effectiveness of motion sensors can lead to capture of thieves, burglars, stoppage of hazardous incidences like fire. They are highly cost-efficient and immediately indicate the point of incidence. They effectively improve the security of any premises where they deem fit.
2. What can cause a motion sensor to false alarm?
They may malfunction if their batteries drain. The presence of pets inside a building may lead to frequent eruptions of security alarms. It may cause annoyance for new comers inside the building. Creeping insects like spiders tend to create their webs around stationary sensors. Sometimes they go off randomly due to human error. Likewise, they set off the alarms due to the movement of harmless objects like balloons, decoration curtains.
3. How many motion sensors should i have?
It is not necessary to install motion detectors in every single room inside a building. Likewise, countless sensors in a small warehouse will only increase the cost. Their requirement is only where the risks of fire or burglary are quite evident. One motion sensor is enough in a living room if the doors or windows of rooms are open.
4. Where is the best place to put a motion sensor?
Usually the corner of a room of the middle part of a warehouse ceiling is the best installation point. Corner of a hall or room offers more view of the entry/ exit points. The sensors installed in the corner easily identify changes inside the vicinity.
5. Can motion sensors work through walls?
Best motion sensors can detect changes by sensing through walls and other objects. Their radio waves penetrate through multiple types of walls.